SmartRules: Any workaround to set a conditional format based on "Notes text"?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Hi,
I'd appreciate your help.
"Notes text" isn't listed as a SmartRule trigger in MM2019. 
Does anyone know if there is any workaround to set a conditional format based on "Notes text"?
Thanks for assistance!

Photo of Cadu

Cadu

• 29 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 978 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Yes, I agree - "Notes Text Contains" should be a SmartRule trigger, (along with the other major missing trigger, Topic Level).

As far as I can tell there isn't an easy way around the lack of a Notes trigger, and Filtering isn't much help either as you can only use it to show topics which have notes (and which don't) but not to filter based on words or phrases within topic notes.

The only way to select all the topics with notes containing a particular word or phrase is to use the search facility; tell it to look in Notes and click on the Find All button. This will highlight all the relevant topics. You could then add a colour fill or some other topic formatting to the selected topics, which could then be used as a trigger in a SmartRule.

The major downside with this approach - apart from the fact that it is a bit clunky - is that the search facility is static. Topic notes with the relevant text which are added after the search has been applied won't show up and therefore would not be formatted; likewise topics with notes that have been edited to remove the text would remain formatted. Therefore, until the search is re-applied and the formatting updated, any SmartRule using this formatting will show incorrect results.
(Edited)
Photo of Cadu

Cadu

• 29 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Many thanks for the teachings Alex!

Yes, I agree - "Notes Text Contains" should be a SmartRule trigger, (along with the other major missing trigger, Topic Level).
I hope MindManager improve those aspects soon.