Spacing topics in a flowchart not possible?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I created a new flowchart project.
In this project i just got going clicking away and adding new topics with the mouse.
The spacing is a mess now, so i just want to space them evenly. 
How can I accomplish this? (balance map, reset position , are greyed out)
In Visio its just a matter of selecting the topics and use the function 'space evenly'.

Anybody any ideas?
Photo of Robert Alers

Robert Alers

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
I can't think of a way to do this. MindManager is at heart still a mind mapping program to which flowcharting and concept mapping features have been added. These take the form of floating topics connected by specially-formatted relationship lines, but without a central topic.

MindManager can only balance topics connected to a central topic, and even in "traditional" MM mindmaps floating topics are not affected by the Balance Map command.
Photo of Robert Alers

Robert Alers

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for your answer.
This is a real bummer, because I really like this program. Is there a possibility for Add-ins you now of?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
No, not that I can think of, though you could ask Nigel at Olympic Limited to have a look at this. His company produces the very versatile MAP add-in for MindManager.

However, I suspect that MindManager's underlying mind mapping structure could make this very difficult.
(Edited)
Photo of Bruce

Bruce

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am also finding this to be an issue. In flowchart mode, the placement/location of the topics seems to have a mind of its own.  It is very difficult to get them to EITHER: stay where I put them, or otherwise arrange them evenly. I am looking for something like "distribute vertically" in powerpoint.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1614 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
I don't know about Mac version 10, but in Mac 12 you can align all floating topics, thus all topics in a flowchart.
Why not test this simply by downloading a free 30 day  trialversion of Mac 12 and see if this does the job?
Photo of Bruce

Bruce

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have version 12. Yes you can Align left/right/middle (with often bizzare results), but you cannot distribute vertically. So there is still (AFAICT) no way to quickly tidy up the vertical spacing of topics in a flowchart.
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

Sia Banihashemi, Official Rep

• 141 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback, "distribute" commands are in our backlog. I can't give you a specific date but it's something we know is missing and hopefully you'll see it in a future update.
FYI We already have this functionality in the Windows application (Version 2019)
(Edited)