start to finish dependency

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I'm unable to have topics with durations & subtopics roll-up so I can finish-to-start from one main topic to the next.  Is this not doable?  In pic provided I cannot finish-to-start from T1 to T2 but I can from T2 to T3.  The link from T2 to T3 breaks if I add durations to the subtopics of T3. 
Photo of Mark Rushford

Mark Rushford

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1616 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
This is the way it should be
You combine task rollups and dependancies in your example. Dependancy cannot be set between rollup tasks.
See the help:

Task Management rules Roll-up rules
  • Calculations include only days marked as workdays (and not holidays) on the Calendar.

• The original Start and Due dates for parent topics along a rollup branch are lost when their Task Info is calculated.

• Progress is only calculated from sub-tasks that have progress assigned. Sub-tasks without Progress values are ignored during the calculation.

• Roll-up is not supported for callout topics.

Dependency rules
  • Dependencies can only be created between topics in roll-up branches. Relationships that include a topic that is not in a roll-up branch are treated as normal relationships, and do not influence the task info calculation.

• You can edit the Task Info for the dependent (second) task in a dependency, but you will not be allowed to choose dates that do not abide by the dependency.

• When the Task Info for a topic is read-only (grayed) the task may only be the determining (independent) task in a dependency:

• Tasks that are in roll-up branches, and whose Task Info is calculated

• Tasks linked to SharePoint tasks

• Read-only tasks linked to Outlook tasks

• Dependencies are not allowed that cause circular dependencies. A circular dependency exists when one topic influences the Start or Due date of the other topic in the dependency.

• A dependency will be deleted when it violates the rules for allowed dependencies.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Yes - in summary, and assuming the order of task groups or branches is chronological from left to right across the map and within each branch from top to bottom, the best approach is to link the bottommost task in a branch to the topmost one on the next branch with a start to finish relationship.

The rolled up main topics at the top of each branch are in effect summaries of the total duration and level of completion for that branch and as such are not part of the task path.
Photo of Mark Rushford

Mark Rushford

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks guys - did not realize the limitations.