Surprising incremental backup issue with Mozy

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Is anyone out there having a problem backing up MM files to Mozy, which has recently stopped recognising MM files for incremental backup - after years of being fine? If so, have you resolved it? (Actually, the same problem arises with MS Excel files too.)

Mozy backs up the first creation of any MM file okay, but simply ignores it after that, whether changes are large or small. If I want a Mozy backup, it means Saving As a v2, then a v3 and so on.

Mozy Support rightly had me go through all the obvious reinstalls and log submissions, but together we've drawn a complete blank. Strange because the problem suddenly arose out of the blue and couldn't be associated with any Mozy update or other software changes on my Windows 10 PC.

MM Support made the following helpful comments, though, again, it didn't help us get to a resolution:

'The .mmap file type is somewhat similar to MS Office files as it is also basically a .zip file.
You can look into this by renaming the file extension from .mmap to .zip and opening it.
In this archive, the main map data is stored in the document.xml while attachments are
stored as .bin files in the respective folder.... Mozy either has an issue identifying changes made to the xml data within thearchive or there is an issue with the fact that it contains .bin files. The latter could be easily identified as the issue wouldn't affect maps that do not contain attachments.'

To MM Support's last point: the problem persists in maps without attachments.

If anyone has a similar experience with Mozy or other third-party cloud backup, I'd really appreciate hearing of any tips and tricks that solved the problem!

In hopeful anticipation: thanks.

Best wishes,

David
London

Photo of David Abrahams

David Abrahams

• 47 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Be the first to post a reply!