TAGs on documents

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Is it possible on MM 2020 to set TAGs directly in attached documents ?
By this way it was easier to reach the TAG directly, in the moment I must first open the *.pdf document and then I must search in this document the TAG again.  
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1803 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Not that I know of. Tags are, as far as I understand it, limited to topics in the Mindmap.

But... Can you add a tag to something inside a PDF  and use it in e.g. the TAG view?
If so, you may have found a new function for me.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1803 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
And if you can... could you include a small movie to show how you do that?
Thanks a lot
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Thanks for your very fast reaction :-)
In the moment I know no solution for this.

I have a new project with a lot of technical plans. The technical plans are 50 searchable *.pdfs with different plans numbers. In the next step I create a big searchable which include all this 50 searchable *.pdfs.

For example I want to know where are the apparatus "X2346" then I use the search of the pdf-programm and this show me all *.pdfs with the name "X2346".

So far so good, I don't must know in my mind which document the apparatus is and I don't must look before in a list in which document the appartus was shown.

In the project I want to manage the project with MM2020 because I have a lot of other things I must note. So MM ist the perfect platform for emails, time sheets, tasks,.... and with a TAG "X2346" I could find everything in the map about this TAG.

With one exception in and this is the searchable *.pdf.
So - although as you write - it was very helpfull if I could set the TAG "X2346" from MM directly in the searchable *.pdf.

Maybe there exist are a add-in for this function ?

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 56 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I've a client in Munich. He is going pretty much that what you are searching for with juridical papers and I know he found a solution for that.
I can ask him and connect you both.

Write to me mindmanager@lerchertrain.at

Best, Andreas
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 56 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
If you can generate a link to specific place in the pdf, you can use this link on the topic

Best,
Andreas
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hi Andreas, thanks for your posts.
Yes I know that it is possible to create a link into a specific place in the pdf, thats a solutuion for some TAGs. But in a technical document when you have 80 TAGs in one document you can't do this step by step.
So I think it would realy good run if MM has a interface for *.pdf documents with the option to read the existing TAGs in the *.pdf document and to create TAGs automaticly in MM.
It's a dream....I think it's to special :-)
stay healthy all
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
like the new MM EXCEL import options
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
You could approach this another way. 

You can do a multiple document search of your technical material within Adobe Acrobat. The results of these searches can be saved as a PDF or CSV file which will list the documents and the pages within each document where the search term was found. 

You could then attach this file to a topic in the map with the search term as the topic text. Choose the PDF version, because the links to the specific documents and pages are live.

I know this isn't quite be what you wanted but it might provide a temporary solution. There are two limitations - only PDF documents are searched and the search results document is static. This means that if any changes are made to these documents the search will have to be repeated. 
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
THANKS that sounds good.

.... for everybody who has Adobe Acrobat installed
I have pdf-XCHANGE Editor...I will test it
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Out of curiosity I downloaded Pdf-xchange - it's not a bad program, especially for the price.

I tested the advanced search facility which is very similar to Adobe's. However, while it can export the search results it can do so only in Pdf-xchange's own proprietary format which doesn't seem accessible as a link from within MindManager, or as a CSV file. The latter will open in Excel, but to make the links live you will have to convert the file to Excel format and then edit the links. You may be able to find - or write - a macro to avoid having to do this one-by-one to each entry.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
As an alternative I've found a way to create links from MindManager topics to saved searches within File Explorer.

These searches have a few limitations - for example, while they can list files which contain the search term in their content as well as those where it appears in the title, they don't list the page numbers - but unlike the exported searches from Adobe Acrobat or Pdf-xchange the saved searches are live and will update automatically to reflect changes in the folder being searched.

These searches will include all files and not just PDFs unless you specifically limit them, which may be a good or bad thing for you, and can be edited with Boolean search terms. I'm going to write this technique up in my blog but let me know if you want the details on how to do this sooner.
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hi Alex, thanks for your ideas of ways to get whats not - in the moment - directly included in MM2020. I will test it the next days.

1. I think about the problem and its look for me, that it is not a big extension necessary in MM for a first  step.

We work often with COMOS, it's a great planning tool for PIDs in energy, chemical and pharmaceutical projects. The informations of the PID like apparature, piping nr, valve-nr, etc. we can create a list in Excel. The list could be created by one PID or above the hole project.

So its no problem to use this informations from Excel through MM 2020.

MM create a branch and with a new option "please create although a TAG" which is directly created and assigned through the branch everybody wins a lot of time who follow the progress (order, expediting, assembly, commisioning, documentation).

2. For a directly TAG into the PID.pdf it would be fine if MM has a interface through the readable *.pdf files, but maybe its still on work by mindmanager for the future:-)  

I think it would be a great function

1. EXCEL import with additonal option to create and assing TAGs autmatically

2. MM interface to found TAGs in readable *.pdfs

for a lot of people.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Hi Jörg,

I like your suggestion and I think you've gone down a different route, but for what it's worth I've written up the technique I mentioned of using File Explorer searches within MindManager: https://sociamind.com/2020/05/25/search-all-files-in-mindmanager-with-a-little-help-from-windows/
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex,

I will read it
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Hi Jorg,

I've been experimenting with PDF-Xchange Editor a bit more, and especially its ability to export bookmarks as links in an HTML file. I don't know if this is useful to you but I've written up the process in this thread (see my most recent comment) - https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/topics/import-pdf-bookmark-as-nodes-into-mindmanager-possible
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Please go back to the thread for an update on exporting bookmarks with PDF-Xchange. It turns out that it's possible to delete unwanted bookmarks before exporting the remainder.