Timeline and adding timeline overview?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I have created a time with many elements. I have started assigned dates and owners. However, I would like a timeline underneath the main timeline that starts at Jan 01 and goes up in say qrt1 qrt2 as  a very quick visual aid. Now I may have more tasks in qrt1, so I would need to flex (move the end of qrt1). I just wondered if anybody had any smart ideas on the best way to do it rather than drawing boxes? Please see attachment
Photo of Paul Walker

Paul Walker

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Janosch

Janosch, Employee

• 16 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,
this is a nice question.
Maybe this is only a workaround, but It could fit your requirement. Add additional topics at the start & end of the quarters and connect them with a rectangle relationship. This could be formatted as well.

Here the relationship is dynamically like the main topics. Hope this fits for you.
Best
Jan
Photo of Paul Walker

Paul Walker

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Great idea. Thanks.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1147 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

I've taken Jan's great suggestion and extended it a little further. I've also played around with using a SmartShape as an alternative.

In the example below, option 1 is based on relationships. I've hidden each of the relationship lines themselves by making them white. I've also formatted the callouts on the relationship lines to make them rectangular as Jan suggested, but I've also coloured them, formatted their widths to make them meet and given them the same fixed height.

Option 2 is based on a SmartShape with four vertical swim lanes. The lanes widths have been adjusted manually to match the timeline and similar colours applied to each lane to those in option 1. They have also been labelled.

The lanes have also been labelled, but unlike the relationship callouts in option 1 it doesn't seem possible to place the labels within the swim lanes. However, the SmartShape has the advantage that it can be saved (though not as a Map Part).

Photo of Paul Walker

Paul Walker

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Alex, I am just struggling a little with the formatting and not sure why. I was using Jan's approach and suppressed the ends of the line shapes. I have altered the text to a rectangle and recoloured the text box. I have tried stretching the box, but it snaps back? I have gone into the Format Topic area and tried to alter the width with no joy. Any ideas? Regards Paul

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1147 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
That's odd - it may be due to a difference between MM2019 and MM2020, which I'm using, but I thought both versions shared the ability to set a fixed topic size. Previous versions behaved the way yours seems to be doing, in that you could set a preferred width but it tended to be ignored.

This is the dialogue box in MM2020, and you can see the difference:

If this feature was introduced in MM2020 and you don't want to upgrade then the only other option is to look at the MAP add-in from Olympic Limited which has a feature to set topic width, though I'm not sure if it works with callouts. The only other option is to pad the callout with spaces, which works but is clumsy to do.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Walker

Paul Walker

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hi Alex. You are right. Had a play with the margins too; to no avail. I cannot upgrade at the moment due to company policy. That said it doesn't look to bad.
(Edited)