topic properties

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Is there a tutorial available that covers topic properties and there uses.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1052 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Not that I’m aware of, though there is a basic guide in the MindManager Help.

Topic properties started out largely as a way to store additional information about a topic but with the addition of features such as formulas and SmartRules they have become much more useful and versatile. Formulas provide mathematical operations and basic functions like SUM, MAX, etc. SmartRules have added two critical features - the ability to convert a whole range of topic aspects such as icons, tags, etc into and out of topic properties, and a way to construct IF-THEN-ELSE statements involving these properties.

I’m writing a series on my blog looking at the options for integrating these features with topic properties and the potential uses for this. You can find the first part here: https://sociamind.com/2019/04/04/mind...
(Edited)
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In topic alerts is there any way of adding a "subject" to the defaults
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1052 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes

Hi Paul, I'm slightly confused by your question. All topic alerts have subjects - the default subject is the name of the topic to which the alert has been added. The default subject can be modified by the user for each topic alert.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So if I use “follow up “ regularly I was wondering if there was anyway to add that permanently to the drop down list that appears.
Having said that I haven’t yet set an alert that has worked. Did 3 today and not 1 came up despite saving before and after setting
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1586 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Topic alerts may be something completely different than you maybe expect. Please read the help on topic alerts what they are, how they operate etc.and after that most questions will be gone ;-)
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Been through the help section, followed the rules implicitly. Set an alert and nothing happened. Apparently a topic alert dialog box opens up but not in my case. 
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1586 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
OK. The Topic alert is a feature that has been around for decades. It is not something that connects to a topic property, so this issue is different from your heading.

The topic alert uses the Microsoft Windows clock and once set, it also works if MindManager is not running.

If the alarm goes, a different app is opened and if you click on the alert it will open you mindmap and goes to the topic where it was set.

That looks like this:

It may be that - as Alex states below - you have to switch on the topic alert under File, options Alerts and security.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Topic alert is on as described by Alex. It was already on so I didn't have to do anything. I am not getting this alert box as you show above but maybe the issue is as Alex has aluded to the alert sound is too quiet. 

When I put an alert on and the bell symbol appears in the topic if I hover over it, it will say due in 10 mins etc and if the time has passed it will say overdue. So the alerts are "Operational" just the notification side is not coming up. I guess not hearing the alert would not be so much of an issue if the alert box as you pictured above would al least pop up. I appretiate both you efforts to help.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1052 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Your comment on the other thread suggests that you are getting the topic alert notification but it is not popping up over the open applications. Unfortunately as that thread indicates this seems to be MindManager’s normal behaviour and is unchanged despite the previous complaints; apart from the sound and an icon appearing in the task bar, there is little to suggest the alert has occurred.

If this is the way it is working for you there doesn’t appear to be a workaround. In theory you could do something with the ability to create an appointment in Outlook for topic alerts and use the latter’s alert system but this means cluttering up Outlook with short-term appointments related to the topic alerts, which you probably don’t want to do.

If on the other hand you are not even getting the topic alert popup at all then there may be a bug and you should contact technical support.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1052 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes

Check that the appropriate topic alert options have been set under File/Options:

I have to say though that even when the Play sound with Topic Alert option is ticked the sound is fairly subtle.