Topic Properties

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello Mindjet,

I am trying to figure out how to use the calculated topic properties, and am running into several problems.

1) How do we add the calculated option to a topic? Right now, I can make a topic property, but there is no way to make that as a calculated option I can copy and paste another topic property, but cannot change the name.

2) How can I change the name of topic properties that feed into a calculated topic? For example, I open the Cost Benefit Analysis template. On the child nodes, there are some fields named Costs, that get fed into a Costs Subtotal. In the template, the costs subtotal works fine, but if I change the name to something else, it stops getting added to the costs subtotal calculation.

Why you even supply a template like this? Why am I not permitted to change the topic property name? This severely limits the functionality of your calculations. Your program has such great potential, but unless I am using your exact "scenario" (or property names), I cannot use calculated variables.

Thanks,
Adam

Photo of Adam Ellery

Adam Ellery

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1052 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
I'm not sure how closely you've examined the Cost Benefit Analysis template, but if you create a map based on it, click on a topic with a calculated property then click on Formulas under the Advanced tab on the ribbon you should see some see formulas at the top of the screen. These form the basis for the calculated topic properties attached to the highlighted topic, and can be easily edited.

These formulas are written using the names of the topic properties involved in the calculations, so obviously if you change the name of any of these properties you have to change the name in the formula as well, or otherwise the formula will no longer work as intended (or not at all).

This is similar to what happens in Excel if you create named ranges for cells and then use these names in formulas, though Excel is a bit more direct in giving you an error message if there is a mismatch between the names referenced in a formula and those used in the spreadsheet.

It's worth studying the section on formulas in the MindManager User Guide. There is only a small selection of operators available and the syntax is fairly straightforward, though the range options are quite different to what you would find in Excel.

MindManager also does not have the equivalent of Excel's Name Manager, though the MAP add-in from Olympic Limited contains a Property Manager as one of its features. This is quite powerful and allows you to change a property name throughout a map and also update any formula referring to that property.
(Edited)
Photo of Adam Ellery

Adam Ellery

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me! I am aware of the functionality of the Windows version, but this post is about Version 12 for Mac (see category).

There is no advanced ribbon, or way to edit the formulas, or add-ins available. I can check an option for calculated (see picture) under Define Topic Properties, but only for existing topics.

I please hope that MindManager can add this functionality in the future.

Thank you for responding, and for your help to the community.

(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1052 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Thanks Adam - I should have checked the category.

The upgrade of the Mac version to full compatibility with the Windows version seems to be very much a work in progress - and, sadly, Mac users are unlikely ever to be able to access the features of add-ins like MAP.