Use lists (internal by preference) to select a topic's property value from

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Hello,

Would there be a possibility to select a topic's property value from an editable list?

This would work similarly as with Excel using "list" as a cell "validation" rule.  The values I have in mind would be text including numbers as text.

The desired functionality would be the following:
  • By preference the lists should be stored within the map-file but importing from Excel is also an option.
  • Permit standardising entries without the need for copying property-lists from one topic to another. This would work when initially making a map but hard to manage when some topic values or one or more lists needs changing.
  • If an item in a list would be added or deleted the modified list would be available for use with any topic.
  • No need to make any automated changes to the existing topic values after editing a list.
I would very much appreciate any help.

Photo of Marc

Marc

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1602 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
I have read your request several times now and... I have no idea what you need / want.
This is good, because I see an opportunity to learn something.

Please can you show with images / screendumps / video what you want.
Maybe a lot is possible already, but it would be a shot in the dark response without clarification from you.
Thanks
Photo of Marc

Marc

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your reply Ary. The link below should shed some more light on what I would like to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/88wjn35fmibubpq/PropertyListIssue.mmap?dl=0
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1602 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Ok seen the map.

My approach would be to use the tag view and the icon view.
You can define your own tag/icon groups and use more of those together
You can use several views that result in an enriched map.

The views combined with clever use of Smartrules should do the trick.
I suggest you see some recorded webinars on the subject via the Mindjet website.

I have a problem though with this demand:

=After editing a list, existing property values must not to be changed automatically=
What is the use of a system helping you if there are exeptions?

Photo of Marc

Marc

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your comment. Maybe I should have stated that "automatic changes to the topic values after editing a list is not a must".  The things is that at this moment I am not sure I want or need anything to be changed automatically

My intention is to create a mindmap for structuring elements of organisational progress that may belong to different domains, have different owners, levels of implementation etc... Once put together changes to the property values (except for the numerical ones that are not bound to a list anyways) will not occur frequently. Hence automation is not strictly required but could certainly help.  

To my opinion three different list editing options may occur:

>  Change the text of a property value (list item): automatically changing all topics with identical property and value could be a benefit as you suggest.  However this could lead to confusion if a team member changes an item's text and gives it a completely different meaning.  It also would require that all list items are given a unique internal tag by the application.
>  Delete one or more list items: in this case I am not sure (yet) if I want all identical entries in all topics removed (made blank) automatically.  Need to give this some more thought.
>  Add a list item: obviously this cannot be automated because the application doesn't know how and to which topic it should apply the newly created value.  I just need it to be available for assigning it as a property value to any new or existing topic.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1062 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
You could do this using SmartRules and tags. You could create a set of tags and then write a SmartRule that would write a topic property based on the tag. I’ve described the process in a series of articles on my Sociamind blog: https://sociamind.com/2019/04/04/mind...
Photo of Marc

Marc

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Alex,  Thanks for your reply, I will check it out and give some feedback later.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1062 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes

Hi Marc,

Having had a quick look at the linked map I think I understand what you're trying to do.

An alternative and probably simpler approach than my first suggestion may be to use the MAP add-in from Olympic Limited. This incorporates a topic properties manager which allows you to manage properties globally across the map. In particular it lets you manage and edit options for list type properties - for example, you can add an item to a list and it will be made available for that property wherever it appears on the map (see below). Alternatively you can apply changes only to previously-selected topics.

For new topics there is also an icon in the topic properties group on the MAP add-in's ribbon which lets you copy and paste groups of topic properties from one topic to another. Alternatively you could create a blank topic incorporating the topic properties (without values) and save that as a map part.