Using Multi-Maps add-in to review tasks/due dates/priorities from multiple maps; refresh output?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I found a way to make Multi-Maps work: map collections.

I am a new Multi-Maps user, though I have had MindManager for ~15-20 years. I had problems collecting items, even from the demo dashboard included with the add-in. I had assumed that running the Collect Data command on an open map would collect data from all of the maps that it was linked to. That is not happening for me in MindManager 2020 x64 on Windows 10, even on the demo map.

I then learned about making map collections in MindManager. I think you have to turn on the 'Enable "My Maps" task pane' option in the Options: General tab in order to view and build map collections. Go to that tab on the right side of the MM window, "Add a new collection" and then "add shortcut to existing map(s)..." to create the collection.

Once I had set up a collection in the My Maps panel, I then ran the Collect Data: Collect Data command. You have to click on the ">>>>" button on the Data collection dialog box to show the Collection radio button and drop-down.  Once I clicked the radio button and selected my collection from the drop-down, I hit "save changes".  I then clicked "Collect data" and got a dashboard.
Now, when I select one of the templates under "Collect Data", I get an auto-populated template from the maps in my collection.

I was able to modify a copy of the "Icons and Tags" template to collect items with the new Kanban tags, and switching to the tag view gave me the view I wanted across all of my clients/projects.
My next task is to figure out how to filter on a combination of Kanban tags and the due dates so I can get a more focused view in my Multi-Maps dashboard.

Does anyone know whether you can refresh a Multi-Maps file after it has been created, or whether you always need to create a new file every time you want to load the latest data from your maps? I know you can sync changes back to the original maps, but if an item doesn't meet the criteria anymore, I don't think it will vanish from the Multi-Maps report when you hit "Send changes".
Photo of Doug Yasso

Doug Yasso

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Pieter van der Hijden

Pieter van der Hijden

• 34 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Interesting to read about a feature I never have used. I tried to replicate what you did. However, I am blocked where you write about: Collect Data. I do not see that command anywhere, nor can I find it in the M20 user manual. 

Please, advice.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1883 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
Multimaps is an addin. Via Olympic ltd
Photo of Pieter van der Hijden

Pieter van der Hijden

• 34 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Thank you, Ary!
Photo of Doug Yasso

Doug Yasso

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Palma Ross just released an update to Multi-Maps that addresses the problem with collecting from all linked files. I have not tested it yet. My McAfee antivirus suggested that the installer for the new version has a virus.

This definitely feels like a capability that should be built into MindManager.