Waiting for MindManager 2020 to purchase

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
I'm reviewing MindManager 12 for Mac.  I see that MindManager 2020 is coming out soon.  Should I wait to purchase until the new release comes out.
Photo of Kenton

Kenton

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1614 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Yes, but bear in mind that MM2020 is for Windows, so you should be able to run windows software on your Mac.
(Edited)
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

Sia Banihashemi, Official Rep

• 140 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
MindManager 2020 is available now!
Photo of emonterog

emonterog

• 84 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

I have some feedback about this new version of Mindmanager. I have been using MM since version 7 and I have paid the yearly upgrades ever since. As a user and customer, you always want to know what value add and new features will bring the new iteration of any software and if that compensates the price you are paying. Mindjet is my favorite visual tool however I have used other software to complement like iMindmap, Xmind, Novamind, Thebrain just to name a few. In some of those software I decided to stop paying for a new version for the lack of innovation and expensive upgrade fees.  For MM2020 my decision to go ahead for this upgrade was mainly for the Co-editing feature as it was advertised and explained in the service chat as the main feature however I soon realize after I paid the $179 upgrade that in order to use this feature you have to pay an additional $98 for a subscription an "Upgrade Protection Plan" (what does this mean?). To be honest I see the rest of the advertised features and are enhancements of what MM19 already offer. In my opinion this is my complaint: This is not clearly stated on the Mindjet webpage because you feel you get co-editing as part of the upgrade but does not clearly states this is an add-on feature that requires extra payment. If that is the case, I see little value to pay $179 for very cosmetic and light enhancement of features MM2019 already had. $98 extra payment I feel excessive and as a customer you don't understand well how that is justified. So being a customer who every year paid for this new version this time I see Mindmanager really felt short and disappoint me. $179 + $98 =$276 total payment just to get this FULL feature. Very sad to find out this seems to be the new corporate vision and how they appreciate their loyal customers. 

Photo of Blair Young

Blair Young, Official Rep

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello emonterog

I understand your situation. We do identify that there is an extra charge for co-editing but I understand how this can be easily missed. I have asked the team to ensure it is called out in a more direct way.

As for the additional charge... there are several reasons for this. Since the co-editing feature includes the ability for non MindManager subscribers to partake, we have implemented this in the cloud. This has certain ramifications. 1) Evolutionary changes in co-editing may have requirements on the base Windows SW - possibly requiring an up-version. To ensure everything is in sync and users can easily upgrade, we require UPP as a mandatory component. 2) There are costs associated with providing this cloud capability and we need to help offset those costs by charging a nominal annual fee and 3) Since this allows non-paying users to partake, it represents a substantial savings to many registered users and organizations using the capability who would otherwise need to purchase a full version for those users. Those savings generally more than offsets the marginal annual fee.

I hope that clarifies the rationale. You do get a 30 day trial with co-editing to help decide if this functionality is right for you. Additional feedback is always welcome.

Thanks for pointing this out and thanks for being a MindManager customer.