Web export: how to make sure umlaut characters are exported ok?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I've recently started exporting to web pages with MM 2012.
When I edit the export properties stored along with the map, umlaut characters work just fine.
However, when I created my own template folder and select that for exporting, the umlauts are not displayed properly.
I guess I'll need to define WebExport.CharacterSet as UTF-8 someplace.
Where are exactly how?
Photo of w8rn8r

w8rn8r

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 561 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
In the export dialogue, click "Customize" on the template page, then click the Advanced Settings tab. The character set is defined there.
Photo of w8rn8r

w8rn8r

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In the "per map" customization dialogue that you're referring to, umlauts work just fine.

So let me add to my previous post. What I'm trying to do is, set up my personal standards for web exports. So, I've created my own template folder based on "Add New Web Template / From Web Format of Current Map" in the template organizer. This way, I won't have to manually customize the settings with every web export and I can have a good number of customizations done in one go.

And I should have been a bit more specific: exported text from map branches and topic notes has the umlauts correct. Where they don't work for me is the parameter files, e.g. in the file Parameters<language>.xml:

<parameter internalName="Strings.Navigation.OverviewMap" displayName="Navigation labels.Overview map" defaultValue="Übersicht" help="Text for links to the Overview Map page" />

That word "Übersicht" will show as garbled.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1769 Posts
  • 288 Reply Likes
Are you really still working with version 2012 (vs10)???

If so....You miss out on many super improved functions. Why not download the free 30 day trial of the current version (MM2020) and see what has been solved already and above all... what you could achieve more and better with thoat new version.
(Edited)
Photo of w8rn8r

w8rn8r

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know I'm missing out on lots of new stuff ... well, it's not just downloading the version - for a pensioner, the price tag isn't peanuts.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1769 Posts
  • 288 Reply Likes
I understand you. If you have entered into a study at an acknowledged institute they may have academic pricing for you.
There is such a programme  in the Netherlands, where I live.
Photo of w8rn8r

w8rn8r

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can someone please help me understand exactly when web templates are applied?
I have played around with some of the files stored in the template folder, e.g. ParametersEnglish.
What I'm seeing makes me assume that the content of these files is actually copied into the map at the time of template selection, and changes to these files made after that will not be applied to the map any more.
Is that indeed how it works?