What is your MindManager environment?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hello Everyone.

As we chart the future path for MindManager, We want to ensure that we are aligning our evolution with that of our users. Right now we have Windows and Mac versions along with a mobile option. As we evolve we hope to provide more options so you can work where you want, how you want and on your terms.

That said, it would be great to get an idea of the environment you work with and how you see it evolving over the next couple years. We would really appreciate any comments in this regard so we can continue to support your reality.

Many thanks... Blair and the entire MindManager Team
Photo of Blair Young

Blair Young, Official Rep

• 42 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1893 Posts
  • 339 Reply Likes
Windows 10, firefox, chrome and Android smartphone.

I would like to see more import from competitive products.
And I would like to see thencohuman functionality again in desktop as well as Android app
(Edited)
Photo of Detlef Huß

Detlef Huß

• 29 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I'm a daily user from the very first version of the MindManger, since round about 25 years:
  • W10
  • Firefox
  • iOS 12.x as well as 13.x
  • on three MS Surface, sync via OneDrive
  • iPhone as well as iPad.
I would like to have a bi-directional synchronization with MS Project. MS Project is very laborious in its usage, but unrivalled in its precision. The MindManager on the other hand enables to cope with the complexity of a project. Having both in combination would be great.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1281 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
Thanks Blair for consulting with the MindManager community regarding this question.

Like Detlef I'm also a daily user of MindManager, though only since MM8. I use it extensively on my desktop and laptop, both running Windows 10.

What I would really like is an updated mobile version for iOS, in particular on the iPad, which would permit editing. While I wouldn't expect this to offer every feature of the PC version I would like it to contain a similar feature set to some of the third-party applications which now dominate mind mapping on the iPad (I can name a few if asked). Of course I think there should be a similar level of functionality on Android devices, as well as a version for Chrome laptops.

I also agree with Ary about the need to improve importing from a wider range of competing products (in fact I keep a third-party mind mapping program on my desktop mainly because it can import maps from a much wider range of products than MindManager and can then export them to MM).

In this regard it's also important that MM's ability to integrate with Office products continues to improve. MM's Word and PowerPoint import and export facilities need to be improved in the same way that its Excel import/export facility has been (ie, so they are not dependent on having either product installed), though it's important that MM's current undocumented abilities to import task tables from Word and from lists of links on websites are also maintained. The bugs in Outlook integration also need to eliminated.

MM's file search capabilities also need to be expanded, especially in terms of searching for non MM files. Finally I like Ary's suggestion on the thread about HTM5 export that the Publish maps facility should allow hosting on third-party servers.
(Edited)
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My team is on PCs and operate in the Microsoft 365 environment, and we mainly use it on our computers. The co-sharing should be standard with enterprise license. 
Photo of Blair Young

• 42 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thanks Nicole. I assume you are referring to co-editing. Noted. We are going to be releasing options in the near future which will provide more choices and may resolve this for you. Stay tuned.
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
most people have an Android or Apple device as a tablet and / or mobile phone.
Thanks to the interactive html5 export integrated in Mindmanager, it is no problem to display the mindmaps on the tablet or smartphone.
It would be helpful to have the option of adding basic functions such as notes in this html5 version, marking tasks as completed or creating new tasks.
Photo of Blair Young

• 42 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thanks Jörg. This is a great comment. Have you tried the MindManager Go mobile app instead of the HTML5 export for viewing (not editing) maps on mobile devices?

The biggest challenge with mobile editing is the spacial arrangement to make it useful on such a small screen. You want to get that right. Maps and diagrams in MindManager can grow pretty large so the implementation needs to be exact.

All that said, we do understand the need and agree that it is something that would be very useful. Thanks again for your comment.

Cheers... Blair
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1281 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
Hi Blair,

I agree that it's important to get the implementation right, especially given the limited amount of screen real estate on small devices. Having said that, however, it's important to recognise a few points:

1. While device screens are small, they are getting bigger, with the majority of new phones coming out with screens well over 5 inches. And of course tablets and in particular the iPad have more than enough space to make mind mapping quite viable.

2. There are competing mobile applications out there which have managed to crack the limited display size problem quite successfully, especially at the tablet level - I know, because I use one of them on my iPad and it works very well.

3. Most people won't need a full set of features on a phone, or a tablet. For example, while I use the versions of Word and Excel for the iPad, I'm generally writing or editing fairly small files when I do so. Similarly with mind mapping - the program I use on my tablet when travelling has a relatively modest set of features compared to MM, but it's more than enough. Ideally there should be complete file compatibility between the different platforms, but I will concede that the main difficulty would be deciding what features should be left in or out.
(Edited)
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Blair,
yes I know about the MM go app + snap app.  I use the go app for my private maps.
For work I could only use the snap app that runs :-)
I wonder about this because such functions are usually not possible with connections outside the corporate network for security reasons.
Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
new day .... new wishes :-)
In projects it is always important to know:
1, what's done
2. where are the problems
3. What are the effects of the problems

Importing schedules from Project is a great feature.
It would be even better if there was a synchronization between Mindmanager and Project.

Good schedules are living and this appointments are postponed - depending on the size of the project - it is currently very difficult to update.

The presentation of the Gant schedule in Mindmanager Enterprise Version is also a very good solution that is well received by the customer and this makes everyone's work easier.

Like any good solution, there are increases :-)

If a GANT view could also be selected in the html export views.

Currently, an image of the GANT plan must always be inserted manually.
(Edited)
Photo of MARK LYNAM

MARK LYNAM

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Mine is a Windows 10 environment / Office 2019 & Office 365.  Mix of local, OneDrive storage and mapped network locations.

Use case is 'create & share'.  I create MindManager documents that simplify/ease the digestion of RFPs, Federal regulations, and policies and procedures.