Will the new HTML 5 export in MindManager 17 include links?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

Thanks for the series of "sneak peeks" looking at the new features in MM 17. I know a lot of people have been hanging out for the HTML 5 export feature shown in the first sneak peek in the series and it certainly looks very impressive.

I have one question, however. The article states that "the new export includes the up tree layout, the workflow and concept map layouts, file attachments, topic numbering, topic properties, topic formulas, comments, custom topic shapes, and more..." but makes no specific mention of links.

As I said in a comment on this post, given the incredible potential of the new HTML 5 export I would be really disappointed if links are not included. These would be a fairly essential component of exported maps, especially if you are using them as a corporate dashboard front end or as an interactive company directory or org chart.

The other important use for which links would be essential would be if you wanted to use an exported map as the front end to a website. As I commented I could understand if there were some limitations with this, such as one link per topic, and I think most people would happily live with that.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I am to old to remember how long I have waited for the ability to "export" a map to MY website.  It is my very strong belief that Mind Maps are the BEST navigation vehicle if there are more than a few "topics" . Here's hoping the new release meets my expectations and allows me to FINALLY share complex material on my website. 
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1352 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
@Bob Levy

I agree with you that maps are far superiour for navigating.

Did you see how Andrew Wilcox of http://www.cabre.co.uk uses Mindmaps to generate webcontent using the web export facilities that are in MinManager since versie 2002?
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I have been a fan and promoter of Andrew's work for years. Have actually spoken with him . He did share with me the techniques he used, but unfortunately, there is/was a lot of manual work so it did not meet my desired needs.  I suspect IF the new V17 works the acceptance might be great. Unfortunately, given the history of successful failures with Mindjet, I am skeptical.   Just look at the response with google search.
I will keep my fingers crossed.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
I agree that Mindjet could have handled the demise of a Google search a lot better.

I am impressed however with the way the sample map in the HTML 5 sneak peek performs. My only quibble so far is that it seems that you have to double-tap on an iPad to expand branches and to operate the screen controls and sometimes it is a little unresponsive. Performance on a computer is fine.

As I indicated in my initial post, the big test for me will be whether links are incorporated. I can't see why they wouldn't be, especially as this would be a huge game changer for the way in which maps could be used with websites. It's a worry though that nobody from Mindjet has confirmed yet whether links are going to be included.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
Let's cut to the chase here - can someone from Mindjet simply confirm or deny that the new HTML 5 export facility will incorporate links attached to topics?
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Alex, Giving the history of Mindjet's response to almost anything, PLEASE do not hold your breath waiting for an answer. MAYBE, not that they have been sold, response might be better.  WOuld be nice to learn when the new release will be available.
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, most people in the know (partners, like our company) are under NDA and cannot disclose any details before the MindManager 2017 product launch.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I understand and do NOT wish to hear from anyone except Mindjet!
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes

I fear links have been left out. They were not mentioned in the list of exportable features in the HTML 5 sneak peek. While that list ended with "and more", it is curious that attachments were mentioned but links weren't - and if this was an accidental act of omission I'm sure someone from Mindjet would have said so by now. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it looks increasingly like they're not there.

Photo of Sia Banihashemi

Sia Banihashemi, Official Rep

• 102 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Guys,
The HTML5 export that will ship with MM 2017 supports hyperlinks only (to web pages). In 17.1 or sooner we will support topic links within the same map. We are still investigating how to support local and network links from an HTML document.

The full details of what is and isn't supported will be available in the release notes, coming soon.

Happy Friday =)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
Hi Sia - thanks for the response - I'm happy I was proved wrong! I think users will find this a great way to provide a front end to websites. I'm already thinking of how I could use it to create a map of my blog posts.