Word Export: limit level range

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Greetings!

Say I have a map representing a team and I want to list just a focused part of the organizational structure. How does one export to Word only a limited range of map levels to Word, say from level 2 to level 5 only?
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 122 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Filter the map and delete the rest in the word file
Photo of Pieter van der Hijden

Pieter van der Hijden

• 34 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
IMHO filtering is sufficient. The filtered map will then be exported.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
OK. How do I filter by topiс level?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
I've been asking for this feature for ages but alas, to no avail. However, the MAP add-in has a Select Topics by Level facility. Use this to select the topics you want then go to View, Show, Selected Topics. 

If you export them at this stage you will likely end up with the parent topics in the export. If you want to avoid this, right click on one of the selected topics and select Send Topics to Microsoft Word. You should end up with just the selected topics appearing in the Word document.

Alternatively, if you get the WordX add-in this has a feature to select and export specitic topic levels.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
OK, got it.

Send Topics to Microsoft Word works fine, but includes all the higher levels. This, in turn, requires a labor of manual cleaning the resultig Word document from high-level information.
In summary, the MAP add-in allows selection of topic with the top level limit.

By the way the same could be done in the Outline document view.

Let me try playing with the WordX add-in.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
That's odd. When I send the topics selected by the MAP topic level feature I don't get the parent topic levels appearing in the exported document. 

I only get the parent levels when I export the selected topics, as opposed to sending them.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
The same for me.

By higher levels, I mean levels with a greater number, that are children.

I looked at WordX 2.1, but couldn't find level filter option...
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
I'm able to use the level selection option in MAP, send the selected topics to Word and have only the document appear with only that level, ie, without parents or children.

And apologies regarding WordX - that is a situation where you get the children as well when you export. WordX does in theory give you the ability to select topics by level, which was the only way to do this until Olympic Limited added this feature to MAP. You could then get out of WordX and use this selection fo other things within MM, but if you actually export through WordX it exports the children as well.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I created a test map:

Then I use MAP's Select Topics by Level command to select level 2 topics:

Then I Send Topic(s) To -> Microsoft Word ... in the context menu, but in a result, I have selected parents along with the children topics included:

(Edited)
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1883 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
Exactly as I would expect.
This is a map with a Tree format so the branches are always part of the things you select.

I would not have it any other way.
If you just the selected topics, use tags.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Please elaborate on the idea to select topics and use tags.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1883 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
As several of my colleagues in other countries, I give an extensive training on this in Holland. Cost euro 800,00 per person for one day. Excl tax, travel and stay.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Andrey, you left out a vital step in my instructions.

After using the MAP select level feature, go to View, then click on Show, and then on Selected Topics. The child topics should then disappear from view, though the parents will still be visible. Effectively you have filtered the map by topic level.

Then you right click on one of the selected topics and send to Microsoft Word. Neither the parents nor the children should appear in the Word document.

And of course if you want to tag topics simply tag the selected topics. You don't need to do this to export them in the manner I've described, but this could be useful if you want to repeat the export. Bear in mind however that you would have to add tags to any topics you subsequently add at this level. If you want to do this a lot you can use the select level facility to write a topic property and then set up a SmartRule to automatically tag the topics with this property (though you could filter the map on the basis of the property alone).
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Andrey, you left out a vital step in my instructions.

After using the MAP select level feature, go to View, then click on Show, and then on Selected Topics. The child topics should then disappear from view, though the parents will still be visible. Effectively you have filtered the map by topic level.

Then you right click on one of the selected topics and send to Microsoft Word. Neither the parents nor the children should appear in the Word document.

And of course if you want to tag topics simply tag the selected topics. You don't need to do this to export them in the manner I've described, but this could be useful if you want to repeat the export. Bear in mind however that you would have to add tags to any topics you subsequently add at this level. If you want to do this a lot you can use the select level facility to write a topic property and then set up a SmartRule to automatically tag the topics with this property (though you could filter the map on the basis of the property alone).
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
The training is OK, but currently, I cannot travel due to COVID.
Did you mean select topics by level, assign tags to the selected items and hide the rest using tag filter?
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Got it.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Andrey, apologies, I must have posted my response as you were posting yours and it's ended up appearing twice. Anyway, see what I have to say about my instructions and also about tagging, but you don't need to do this just to send specific levels to Word.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thank you, Alex.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Thanks Andrey.

One thing I overlooked is that topic level is also available directly as a Topic Property in the MAP add-in under Extended Properties. This property can be easily added to all topics in the map and will adjust automatically whenever the topic changes level. You can filter on this property directly and then send topics at the specified level (without parents or children) to a Word document.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Great option!
I wish the MAP to be a part of MM.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 122 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
There is are reason why it's not
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Can you lift the curtain of secrecy, please?
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 122 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
They feature "Send to Word" will be stopped with MM21.

I offer MindManager experts training online. Check the MindManager partner website
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thank you.
I will look at the website and try releasing the budget for training.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1271 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
I was aware that this was being planned, and I'm extremely disappointed by your confirmation that it will be dropped as I use this feature a lot. It's incredibly useful to be able to select a group of sometimes-unrelated topics and send them to a Word document, and I can't see how this can be implemented in a dialogue-driven export model like the one currently used for Excel export. I was hoping that my pleas about this would have resulted in some compromise but obviously not.

Just as important for me is the implication that associated undocumented features like the ability to use MindManager Word styles to tailor imports from Word to MindManager are also likely to be stopped. This is another facility I use extensively.

I am aware that there is a desire to enable export of Office-compatible files from MM without requiring Office to be installed but I think this is a very high price to pay. I am surely not alone in using these features, especially Send to Word.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 122 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Alex, I'm sorry but I believe you're the only one who is using this feature so much.

The new export is doing a great job.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
Having had my rant I assume that the new export facility will still allow the selection and export of filtered topics. if this is the case then in theory the option to filter on topic level before export should be possible, but I don't know if this will still allow the ability to exclude child topics.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 122 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
It's easy to define what you want to export. You can filter the map, or export the whole map
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
Actually Send Topic(s) to Word has been retained, I'm happy to say - it just works through the new export dialogue.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 246 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
We live happily for at least one year!